Stony Plain Registries | Drivers
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-16880,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-10.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive


Driver Services

It is your responsibility to renew your drivers licence before it expires. To renew your licence you will need to come in person with your existing drivers licence, a second piece of record-able traceable identification, and a completed medical form if required for your class of licence, or due to a medical condition.

Come Prepared:


  • All Driver licence services need to be done in person with appropriate identification
  • Always be prepared to have your picture taken.
  • Changing your Address – come in, bring your licence and a second piece of ID
  • Changing out of province  Drivers License for a  Alberta Drivers License  Bring in current drivers license, Either Birth Certificate or valid Passport, and 1-2 piece’s of mail with your Alberta address.
  • Lost or Stolen Drivers Licence/ID Card – you need to come in with two pieces of ID
  • Learner’s test and Knowledge test for Class 1,2,3,4,6 Licences

Government of Alberta – Transportation Online Handbooks


  • Learner’s under 18 require a birth certificate or passport and a parent with them in order to write/obtain a learners licence or ID card.
  • Learner’s over 18 require a birth certificate or passport and a second piece of ID, along with proof of Alberta Residency.
  • Online Defensive Driving Course to have 3 demerits remove from your driving record

Road Test Services


Road tests are by appointment only and are generally available Monday – Friday with limited Saturday bookings. Appointments can be made in person or by phone – please have your driver’s licence number handy.


The following road tests are available at our office:


  • For those with a class 7 (learner’s licence). Class 5 Basic Test
  • For those with a class 5 GDL licence. Class 5 Advanced Test
  • For those wishing to ride a motorcycle. Class 6 Test
  • For those needing to drive a small bus/taxi/ambulance. Class 4 Test
  • For those needing to drive 3 axle trucks (gravel trucks). Class 3 Test
  • For those needing to drive large buses (school or coach). Class 2 Test
  • If you need a class 1 licence, for now you will have to contact another registry office.


Road Test Information

Drivers Abstract There are 3 ways to obtain your Drivers Abstract:


  • If you are attending our office in person, print this form. Request for Personal Driving and Motor Vehicle Information
  • If you are unable to attend in person you need to give consent to someone known to you. This consent form may be faxed, emailed or scanned and either sent to the person whom you are giving consent to bring in, or sent to our office and we will hold it until the person whom you have given consent to, comes into our office. Drivers Abstract Consent
  • If you cannot attend a Registry office in person, and you do not have someone in Alberta that you can provide an original consent(option 2) to, then the following form must be completed and notarized, a copy of your ID must also be notarized. You must mail us the notarized form and notarized copy of your ID along with a Money Order for $50.00 and a PREPAID Express Post envelope. We will process the abstract and return it to you. You can also use this form if you are out of province and require a confirmation letter regarding date first licensed or proof of registration on a vehicle. Notarized request for personal driving and motor vehicle information